Ambroxol Hydrochloride and Guaiphenesin syrup
What is this medicine and what is it used for?
This medicine contains
Ambroxol hydrochloride, which is a mucolytic drug that is used for liquefying and dissolving mucus in respiratory tract.
Guaiphenesin is an expectorant which thins and loosens mucus (phlegm) to help relieve chest congestion.
Medicine is used for the symptomatic relief of cough and for thinning and loosening of bronchial mucus for increased clearance. Relieves chest congestion
How to use this medicine?
- For oral use only.
- Check the table below to see how much medicine to take.
AgeDoseChildren (6 - 12 years)5 mlChildren (above 12 – less than 18 years)10 mlAdult10 – 20 ml
Dose to be taken every 8 hours.
15ml for children (6 - 12 years), 30 ml for Children (above 12 – less than 18 years) and Not to exceed 40ml for Adults in 24 hours or as directed by Physician.
Not recommended for use in children under 6 years of age.
What you need to know before you take medicine?
Do not use this medicine
- If you are taking any other cough and cold medicine.
- Not recommended below 6 years.
- Hypersensitivity to ambroxol/ bromhexine, guaifenesin or to any of the ingredients
- Anaphylactic reaction to ambroxol (as well as its parent drug bromhexine)
If any of these apply, get advice from a Physician or pharmacist without using Benadryl CR.
If you are taking any of the following medicines please see your Physician:
- Amoxicillin, Cefixime, Cefuroxime, Erythromycin, and Ofloxacin
Special Warnings and Precautions
- There have been reports of severe skin reactions such as erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) /toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN) and acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis (AGEP) associated with the administration of ambroxol (as well as its parent drug bromhexine). Stop using and seek medical attention at the first appearance of skin rash (sometimes associated with blisters or mucosal lesions) or anyother sign of hypersensitivity.
- Should not be used for persistent or chronic cough, such as occurs with asthma, or where cough is accompanied by excessive secretions, unless directed by a physician.
- If symptoms persist or get worse, or if new symptoms occur, patients should stop use and consult a physician.
Pregnancy, breast feeding and fertility
- This medicine should not be used during pregnancy or lactation unless the potential benefit of treatment to the mother outweighs the possible risks to the developing fetus or breastfeeding infant. Ask a physician before use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side-effects,although not everybody gets them.
If you experiences any of the following stop using the medicine and seek immediate help:
- Allergic reactions including skin rashes (which may be severe and include blistering and peeling), hives and itching.
- Other effects that may occur include:Stomach pain or discomfort, diarrhoea, vomiting and nausea.
How to store this medicine?
Keep out of reach of children
Store away from excessive heat and direct sunlight. Do not refrigerate.
JNTL Consumer Health (India) Private Limited.
At :Khata No. - 845/713 & 1108/970/1,
34th K.M., Tumkur Road,
Bengaluru Rural -562 123.
Date of Revision: 20 November 2020.